I was in the Hamptons the other week making my rounds to all the farmer’s markets before heading back into the city, when I overhead a lady holding a spaghetti squash and how to cook it. I almost lost my sh** when the farmer told her to just “pop it in the microwave for about 10-15 minutes.”
Don’t DO that.
Microwaves aren’t ALWAYS bad to cook food, but you have to do it correctly so you don’t lose all the nutrients and vitamins. Since you can’t wrap a huge spaghetti squash in plastic wrap, you shouldn’t be cooking in an microwave. (Read more on how to cook properly in a microwave, here). It’s just as easy to pop in the oven. Here’s how:
Spaghetti Squash – How To Cook
1. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a cooking sheet with organic cooking oil.
2. Cut the spaghetti squash in half, long-wise. Be careful cutting it to make sure you don’t cut yourself!
3. Scoop out the guts like you would a pumpkin BEFORE you cook it.
4. Place on a baking sheet rind-up, so the flesh is against the sheet.
5. Bake for one hour.
6. Remove the squash and let cool for about 10-20 minutes.
7. Flip over and scrape out the flesh with a fork.
Now, you’re ready to follow my famous recipe for Spaghetti Squash Mac and Cheese. Especially because it’s fall, and it’s pumpkin and squash season so you can pick one up for a cheaper price right now! You’re gonna love it!